70 years of innovation
In 1946, Emile Beizermann founded SOCAMEL, Société de Construction d’Armoires Mécaniques et Electriques. With three members of staff, the family business was set up in Renage.
SOCAMEL first specialised in manufacturing warming trolleys for the bulk distribution of meals in hospitals. Its groundbreaking spirit enabled SOCAMEL to be behind many innovations that have left an indelible mark on institutions chiefly the concept of “cook chill”.
Today, Socamel Technologies is the world leader in institutional catering logistics in the healthcare, educational and prison sectors.
KEEPING AHEAD OF THE GAME
At every stage, Socamel Technologies has broken new ground to provide optimal customer service and increased patient comfort. Summary of the major stages…
Introduction of personalised meal trays for hospital catering.
Creation of the first assembly and preparation lines.
- 1965 – Launch of Rescal, the first meal trolley to use thermoconvection technology.
- 1969 – Development of the fast chilling by cryogenics unit, in partnership with Air Liquide.
New production technique: “Cook Chill” or “Deferred Catering”.
- 1970 – Socamel Technologies launches cook chill and the first mixed distribution trolleys with built-in thermoconvection rethermalization.
- 1973 – First Central Production Unit operating with cook chill process
- 1974 – Launch of the Therminal oven, the first rethermalization oven.
- 1974 – Rescaset, a company specialising in the manufacture of disposable packaging (dishware, consumables), set up.
New concepts developed for hospital and school catering and all forms of institutional catering (companies, armed forces, etc.).
- 1982 – First meal trolleys with an onboard fan and cooling system launched.
- 1984 – First Rescatronic trolleys for meal tray distribution in hospitals sold.
Three major innovations patented: Double Flow / Ergoserv, Cook-In-Pack, Rotofour).
International development starts.
- 1990 – Invention of dissociated technology, included in the flagship product Double Flow / Ergoserv.
- 1990 – Launch of the single tray.
- 1990 – Socamel Technologies purchased by Apax Partners.
- 1994 – Socamel Technologies introduced on the second Lyon stock exchange market.
- 1997 – Conquest of the American market begins with the opening of the Socamel America subsidiary.
A new generation of trolleys has enabled Socamel Technologies to retain its place as market leader: Compact’Clim Plus and Double Flow Plus.
- 2000 – Socamel Technologies continues to grow on the American market. First cart washers for meal trolleys launched in healthcare.
- 2001 – Socamel Technologies joins the Guillin Group.
- 2004 – Launch of the new Ergomix concept to rethermalize multi-portion containers and trays simultaneously.
- 2006 – Servizio breakfast trolley launched.
- 2007 – Purchase of the Colston Company’s institutional catering multi-portion trolleys business in the UK and founding of the subsidiary Socamel United Kingdom Ltd.
- 2008 – Launch of the 3rd generation of the dissociated Double Flow / Ergoserv concept with the i-Serv Technology traceability system fitted as standard. Launch of Multiserv, a new trolley for meal distribution in dining rooms.
- 2009 – Launch of Servitherm, a new thermally insulated trolley.
- 2010 – Socamel Technologies’ Charter of Commitments created – a new sign of its commitment to clients, applied by optimising its audit, demonstration, training and after-sales services.
- 2011 – Launching of Servizio Brunch (a new trolley especially made for meal distribution in room or dinning room), Ergoserv Optimum (brand new Ergoserv Junior shuttle with a distribution capacity up to 36 meals on trays optimum sized) and i-Serv traceability system Version 2.
- 2012 – Launching of Roomserv (new trolley designed for the distribution of meal trays in Cook&Serv), Compactserv 2 (new trolley with on board technology used to rethermalize individual meal trays, ideally for Cook&Chill and Cook&Freeze), Servizio Café (breakfast trolley with hot drink automatic distributor), antibacterial trays and a new range of Services.
- 2013 – Launching of Coolserv (rethermalization trolley with remote technology and CO² cooling technology, ideal for Cook&Chill and long logistics), Restocar Junior (trolley with technology on board for prisons catering), Ergoserv Junior (distribution capacity up to 30 or 36 trays GN1/1) and of the version 4 of the unique concept Double Flow / Ergoserv with remote technology.
- 2014 – New Olympus china tableware set available. Market release of the Ergoserv V4 shuttle 4-door option. It’s also this year that we create the subsidiary SOCAMEL ESPANA.
- 2015 – Development of the Compactserv Mini Plates solution for serving hot dishes.
- 2016 – Manufacture of the Compactserv with Insert. Launch of the Ergochef: a unique market solution for multiportion distribution. We take a stake in our historical German distributor, which will become SOCAMEL DEUTSCHLAND.
- 2017 – Launch of the new MULTISERV version 3, brilliantly combining performance and ergonomics.
- 2019 – Change of all product graphics to bring homogeneity of colour and style to the SOCAMEL product range. Launch of the boosted version of the DOUBLEFLOW v4.2 to offer user comfort to both cook chill & cook & serve organizations.
- 2020 – Numerous product developments/improvements are underway and will see the light of day this year to enable us, through innovation, as we have been doing for more than 70 years, to pioneer and maintain our status as a world leader !